Manager of Engineering
International Falls, MN, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 7, 2023
UpKeep is the leading cloud-based Asset Operations Management software developed to revolutionize the way teams manage facilities and maintenance work. We provide mobile-first SaaS solutions, Industrial IoT sensors, data analytics tools, advanced enterprise integrations, and top-notch professional services. Our innovative technology is modernizing workflows and maximizing operational efficiency for over 3,000 customers including Shell, Yamaha, Unilever, McDonalds, Subway, Pepsi, and Marriott!
We're a Series B tech startup with 100+ team members across the US. We've been recognized as a "Best Place to Work" multiple years in a row by fostering an inclusive and mission-driven culture. In addition to stock options and great benefits, our people have the flexibility to work remote. UpKeep is ranked the #1 Facility Management software on Gartner, #1 Maintenance Management software on G2 Crowd, FrontRunners on Software Advice, and CMMS Leader on IDC MarketScape.
As Engineering Manager you will report to the Director, Engineering and lead a team of software engineers. In partnership with technical program management, you will define processes, continuous improvement initiatives and measurements to ensure strength in performance and delivery.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead, motivate, and inspire teams of engineers to deliver and maintain innovative products through thoughtful and high-quality engineering .
- Recruit, retain, and develop engineers who build great working relationships, and develop a team that is capable of executing the technology strategy and delivering value to the company.
- Manage and coach teams of engineers through challenges and personal career growth
- Ensure the teams’ success by removing roadblocks, addressing conflicts, and operating as its champion.
- Assist Engineering Leadership team on cross team initiatives such as process improvement, software quality, etc.
- Partner with Design, Product Management and Project Management teams to balance short and long-term needs in a growing Engineering Team and Technical Infrastructure.
- Lead in promoting the needs of the Engineering team and technical stack and contributing to engineering goals and OKRs.
- Track, produce, analyze, and action upon key metrics & milestones to ensure quality products are delivered on time
- Foster a proactive, results-focused technology culture that is responsive to the needs of the business. Create an environment that encourages innovation and receptivity to change. Encourage intelligent risk-taking.
- BA/BS in Computer Science or closely related degree or equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years experience managing a team strongly preferred
- Experienced at organizing agile software teams to deliver high-quality software
- Comfortable working and leading a team remotely
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- You are able to attract great teammates and high performing engineers
- You excel at analyzing deep technical problems and coaching teams to the best balanced solution
- You stay familiar with emerging technologies and best practices; you know the tooling landscape, and know how they fit into a modern test automation environment
- You operate with empathy and strive to cultivate a work environment that is both supportive and challenging
- You are passionate about helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers
- You possess strong verbal and written communication, collaboration, and documentation skills
- You are a lifelong learner and passionate about learning new things and taking on new challenges
- Highly organized, detail oriented, and able to work autonomously with minimal direction
- Facilitates change - encourages continuous improvement of work practices and processes. Enable the ability to move through change to transform new levels of thinking, understanding, and work practices.
- Drives execution – engage and enthuse team by cascading company & departmental goals into individual goals. Sets high performance standards, sets clear expectations, facilitate problem solving, provide task clarity and set boundaries.
- Manage the team – be a steady hand, hold the team accountable, utilize straight talk and take corrective action when required to ensure compliance and fair treatment, provide consistent reward and recognition.
- Keep the team focused and motivated - facilitate timely decision making, know when to escalate, fail fast, provide timely feedback and regular communication.
- Technically proficient - know own role thoroughly and possesses a wide field of knowledge, has a solid familiarity with team member’s roles and tasks.
- Uses the full capabilities of the team – understands team member’s development needs and aspirations, takes these into consideration when assigning tasks and responsibilities. Develop and coach so the team can reach full potential.
- Over communicates - hosts team communication (1:1`s and team meetings), cascades important and “need to know” information in a timely manner.
- Involve employees in decision making – encourage communication across the team along with sharing of ideas and proposed solutions. don’t allow members to operate in isolation, utilize each team member's strengths and skills.
- Manages collaboratively - Foster teamwork, empower and develop trust with employees to deliver successfully and delegate appropriately.
- Displays ethical character and competence - Always act with integrity and intent.
- Is a role model – displays high levels of commitment and energy, role models our values, sets high standards of behavior. Influence others positively, act as a good citizen of UpKeep.
Even if you don’t meet all of the requirements listed here, we still encourage you to apply. Your personal and professional experience may be relevant beyond what a list of requirements will capture.
Full-time team members at UpKeep are offered affordable medical, dental, and vision insurance for themselves and their families, HSA with employer paid contribution, optional FSA, Life Insurance, 11 paid annual holidays, unlimited paid time off, 10 days of sick time per year, ability to enroll in our 401(k) plan, 12-week paid parental leave, Employee Assistance Program, Modern Health for mental health resources, and the flexibility to work from home. We value work-life-harmony and believe that family and mental health should always come first.
Company History & Product:
UpKeep was founded in 2014 by our CEO, Ryan Chan, based on an idea he had while using outdated desktop software as a Process Engineer in a manufacturing plant. He believed a mobile-first solution could significantly improve the productivity of the technicians he was working with. He was determined to build on this vision— so he quit his job, learned to write code, and created the first version of UpKeep from his family's garage!
Today, our cloud-based Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) and cutting edge Industrial IoT sensors solve problems for thousands of businesses around the world. Our Asset Operations Management solutions, coupled with powerful cloud ecosystems, empower maintenance and facilities teams to achieve their digital transformation goals. We are providing meaningful value to an underserved, blue-collar workforce by streamlining workflows, improving collaboration, and making it easy to manage work orders and projects from anywhere, anytime!
We've raised $50 million in venture capital following a recent Series B funding round led by Insight Partners, Emergence Capital, Mucker, and Y Combinator. We're also building The Maintenance Community, the largest online forum and Slack group bringing industry professionals together to participate in discussions, webinars, podcasts, and courses.
At UpKeep, we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our products, and our community to flourish. UpKeep is honored to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or Veteran status.