Senior Software Developer (Remote)
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2021
Our purpose and our reach, your opportunity.
Top Hat is revolutionizing the world of higher education. We are the leading teaching platform that professors use to create an active learning environment. Using Top Hat, professors can transform students' smartphones and laptops into tools of engagement, leading to increased attendance, higher grades, and a more effective lecture experience. More recently, Top Hat acquired Aktiv Learning, and we're continuing to grow our overall product offering. We aim to be the premier way for professors to interact with students both in and out of the classroom.
Top Hat is used and adored by over 750 universities and over 3 million students worldwide.
As we set our sights on increasing adoption of our products to all 4000+ post-secondary institutions in North America, we need to grow our Engineering team. We need Full Stack Developers who can stay ahead of the curve for feature and services development and user experience.
Where are you right now?
You are doing full stack development right now. You are enthusiastic about development, but you are seeking more professional and personal satisfaction. You want to join a fast growing company with purpose where you can see the difference your work is making. You are also looking for a mentor to help groom you for management or more senior technical roles.
You may not have expertise in our particular programming languages or technologies. That’s OK. What’s important to Top Hat is solid computer science fundamentals, passion, the ability to learn quickly, and your drive for professional growth.
*We are open to remote hiring candidates based anywhere across Canada
As a key member of our growing development team you will:
- Innovate. Work in a dynamic, cross-functional scrum team and contribute ideas to design and planning discussions. Implement new features and core services in the TopHat platform. Provide solutions to exciting new problems.
- Collaborate. Work closely with our design, product, and architecture teams to help bring beautiful, usable and scalable features to life (Our backend is a REST API built with Django. Our frontend framework is React. Everything runs in a high-availability setup on AWS, with MySQL.)
- Improve. Refactor, optimize and improve the Top Hat platform used by over a million students. Improve application performance and reliability.
What you will bring to Top Hat:
- The right combination of education and experience. A solid understanding of software development either through a degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a Technology related field, and 5+ years of experience building software systems.
- The technical skills. You have comfort with most of the following:
- Web development technologies and tools
- Automated unit and integration testing
- Designing and building scalable, fault-tolerant services
Why team members love working at Top Hat :
*A noble mission that creates meaningful, fulfilling work
*A team that cares deeply for customers and for each other
*We’re a company of invested owners - every Top Hatter receives stock options
*Professional learning and development for all role levels
*An awesome and welcoming Toronto HQ, and a growing sales hub in Austin, Texas
*Competitive health benefits that start on day one
*A management team focused on performance, growth, engagement and connection
*Our winning strategy and market potential
*Innovative PTO policy with lots of time and space for self-care
*Passionate customers that believe in us—and what we do
See more open positions at Top Hat
Something looks off?