Engineering Manager- Mobile
Posted on Thursday, September 7, 2023
We are seeking a forward-thinking Engineering Manager for our talented mobile development team. In this role, you will play a pivotal part in steering our mobile application initiatives, leveraging your expertise in Android, iOS, and cross-platform development. As the mobile teams Engineering Manager, you will drive technical innovation, manage team members and their work, and ensure the successful delivery of high-quality mobile applications.
- Lead, guide, and motivate our mobile development team, fostering an environment of collaboration, innovation, and growth.
- Utilize your comprehensive mobile development experience to provide guidance and mentorship, both in native (Android, iOS) and cross-platform (Flutter) development.
- Drive the modernization of legacy codebases and the implementation of new, cutting-edge features to elevate Top Hat’s mobile offering.
- Collaborate seamlessly with the team’s product managers, designers, agile coaches and test engineers, to determine priorities that balance creating new functionality and the maintenance of existing functionality.
- Work with team members to validate product requirements.
- Champion the importance of technical aptitude and confidence, advocating for optimal solutions and guiding the team to overcome challenges effectively while balancing tradeoffs.
- Ensure the team is delivering quality and performant code that follows design patterns, best practices, accessibility and observability standards.
- Communicate effectively with product engineering leaders and team members to gain alignment on priorities.
- Build and nurture trust across the organization through open communication, transparency, and a consistent track record of successful project deliveries.
- Use emotional intelligence to navigate complex situations, resolve conflicts, and create a psychologically safe environment that maintains a high-performing and positive team dynamic.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to team members, empowering their growth, skill enhancement, and career advancement.
- Provide regular and clear feedback to your team members about their individual performance.
- With the help of the team’s agile coach, evaluate and optimize the team’s agile practices for delivery, and run the scrum master responsibilities for your team.
- Proven track record and a minimum of 6 years in mobile application development in native Android, iOS, and/or cross-platform technologies like Flutter.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage, and inspire mobile development teams, with experience in managing up, down, and sideways.
- You know what’s worth working on and what isn’t and can work with your team’s product manager to create their roadmap.
- Strong technical acumen with the confidence to make informed decisions and guide the team in adopting effective technical strategies.
- Experience in working in multiple codebases in various states of hygiene.
- High emotional intelligence and adeptness in managing interpersonal relationships, resolving conflicts, and maintaining a positive team environment.
- Skillful in expressing ideas, advocating for optimal solutions, addressing challenges, and obtaining alignment.
- Proven ability to coach, mentor, and develop team members, fostering their growth and enhancing their skills.
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to manage relationships across various organizational levels.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field.
Why team members love working at Top Hat :
*A noble mission that creates meaningful, fulfilling work
*A team that cares deeply for customers and for each other
*We’re a company of invested owners - every Top Hatter receives stock options
*Professional learning and development for all role levels
*An awesome and welcoming Toronto HQ, and a growing sales hub in Austin, Texas
*Competitive health benefits that start on day one
*A management team focused on performance, growth, engagement and connection
*Our winning strategy and market potential
*Innovative PTO policy with lots of time and space for self-care
*Passionate customers that believe in us—and what we do