Senior Data Scientist, Models and Algorithms
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 300,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
About the role
Gusto’s Data Science team leverages Gusto’s rich dataset to guide product direction and decision-making. We operate full-stack, conducting analyses, prototyping and deploying predictive models and statistical tools both for internal use and for our customers.
For this role, we are looking for a technical leader (IC) to drive our Natural Language Processing (NLP) applications initiatives, both customer-facing (eg: deploying a model to routing customers to CX based on questions they ask) as well as for internal stakeholders (eg: understanding sentiment and topics brought up by customers to feed back into the product life cycle).
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Build and deploy models and data products to support internal decision-making and delight our customers.
- Develop scalable frameworks and libraries that enhance and contribute to the team’s core analysis and modeling capabilities
- Identify new opportunities to leverage data to improve Gusto’s products and help our business thrive
- Present and communicate results to stakeholders across the company
Here’s what we're looking for:
- We love meeting people with different data backgrounds. For this Senior Data Science role, we are looking for at least 5+ years experience conducting statistical analyses on large datasets and deep domain knowledge in NLP techniques.
- This could mean either a MS or PhD in a quantitative field with at least 3 years experience in a business environment, or BS or Data Science Bootcamp graduate with at least 5 years of experience working as a data scientist in a business setting.
- Experience applying a variety of statistical and modeling techniques using Python as indicated by familiarity with many of the following techniques - Topic modeling, keyword extraction, summarization, clustering.
- Strong programming skills - comfortable with all phases of the data science development process, from initial analysis and model development all the way through to deployment
- Excellent communication skills - able to effectively deliver findings and recommendations to non-technical stakeholders in a clear and compelling fashion
- PhD or Masters plus equivalent experience in a quantitative field
- Experience leveraging customer feedback and sentiment to drive product decisions a plus.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $132,000-$182,000/year in Denver, Chicago, and Atlanta, $144,000-$198,000/year in Los Angeles and Seattle, and $161,000-$219,000/year for San Francisco and New York.
Gusto has physical office spaces in Denver, San Francisco, and New York City. Employees who are based in those locations will be expected to work from the office on designated days approximately 2-3 days per week (or more depending on role). The same office expectations apply to all Symmetry roles, Gusto's subsidiary, whose physical office is in Scottsdale.
Note: The San Francisco office expectations encompass both the San Francisco and San Jose metro areas.
When approved to work from a location other than a Gusto office, a secure, reliable, and consistent internet connection is required.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you require assistance in filling out a Gusto job application, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.