GraphQL Infrastructure Engineer
We are looking for GraphQL Infrastructure Engineers who help us design, develop, test, and maintain the various systems and tools that are part of delivering a high-quality API experience to developers at Gusto. This spans the backend and graph creation, as well as consumers of the graph, and stewardship of the graph itself, which we are building to be consistent, efficient, and scalable.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 200,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
As part of the GraphQL API engineering team, you will be maintaining the smooth operations of some of the most important parts of the software that directly serve Gusto’s customers. This spans from keeping GraphQL and our Apollo integrations up-to-date and making them more performant, to improving our tooling, help with schema development, and providing guidance for common cross-cutting concerns like errors or pagination.
The team works at the intersection of our large systems: Backend-Rails and Frontend-React as well as mobile apps. We have been using GraphQL for a number of years to better isolate changes across our API boundaries and to improve the balance between functionality and performance. If this sounds interesting to you - join us!
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Seek out areas of improvements and mitigate inefficiencies in our GraphQL tooling and services
- Ideate solutions, and then pitch, plan, measure, and implement them in an iterative fashion
- Maintain close connection with our product engineering colleagues working across web app, mobile app, and external APIs to see that next opportunity just around the corner
- Create leverage for all of product engineering through your work on services, abstractions, tools, and architecture
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 5+ years of experience with software development and architecture
- 3+ years of experience with developing and operating GraphQL APIs
- Experience and/or interest in building tooling that makes your engineering colleagues successful
- Experience and/or interest in Typescript, React, Ruby, Rails, architecture, developer tooling, and agile and lean software development
- Great communicator: We regularly make changes to how product engineers work, and must be able to effectively plan, document, consult, and collaborate with them. The ability to use anecdotes and data to illustrate the impact of your work.
Our cash compensation range for this role is $142,000/yr to $226,000/yr in Denver & most remote locations, and $172,000/yr to $265,000/yr in San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
Something looks off?