Staff Data Scientist
Guru is on a mission to reinvent the way people connect with information at work. Our knowledge management solution provides teams with expert-verified information where they work and when they need it most. Our goal is to give every team in the world trusted information so that they can do their best work. We're backed by an amazing group of investors and we're growing fast; in 2020 we raised a series C round which took our total funding to $70M.
At Guru, we know that talent is everywhere. We support remote and hybrid models of work, with our headquarters in Philadelphia and employees spread across 20 states. Time differences can make live collaboration difficult, which is why we're intentional about our internal communication practices, favoring asynchronous options where possible.
Everyone is welcome here. Guru is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, where every employee experiences a sense of belonging every day. It’s a fact that teams with diverse representation across race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, and abilities perform better. If you’re interested, please apply even if you don’t check every box because you could be just what we’re looking for! We'd love passionate individuals to join us on the next stage of our journey!
Guru is seeking a Staff Data Scientist with expertise in ML and NLP, particularly in applying Large Language Models (LLMs). As a part of our team, you will not only maintain our position at the forefront of AI advancements but also propel us to become the benchmark that others aspire to.
- Partner with product teams, weaving AI innovations into key product strategies.
- Mentor peers, promoting a culture of skill and knowledge exchange.
- Keep abreast of AI research, sharing with peers & product leadership in the context of Guru’s domain.
- Handle practical data science tasks, including data cleaning, data exploration, A/B testing, etc…
- Employ LLMs to enhance a customer’s ability to create content and make decisions.
- Utilize embeddings and other approaches for improved semantic recall.
- Introduce AI technologies to reduce the manual effort to maintain a trustworthy knowledge base.
- Manage model evaluations – dataset assembly, metric definition, dashboard creation, & strategic advice.
- Actively detect, analyze, and mitigate any biases present in model outputs.
- Leadership level experience in machine learning and NLP, with the most recent focus in the areas of LLMs.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field. Advanced degrees are a plus.
- Solid Python programming skills with expertise in data manipulation tools such as SQL, pandas, & Spark.
- Comfort with cloud platforms, notably AWS and its ML services.
- Experience in LLM technologies, embeddings, and RAG architecture.
- Comfortable with fine-tuning open-source LLMs and other ML models.
- Strong communication skills, adept at translating complex topics into clear, actionable insights.
Nice to have
- Familiarity with tools and methodologies for AI model interpretability.
- Familiarity with real-time recommendation systems.
- Familiarity with information retrieval systems, such as Elasticsearch.
- Familiarity with LangChain or similar LLM programming libraries.
- Familiarity with the emerging autonomous agent capabilities.
- Familiarity with dbt or similar data abstraction technology.
- An understanding of ethical considerations in AI.
- A background in a startup environment, preferably within the SaaS and B2B space.
Hey, not everybody checks all the boxes, apply and let us get to know you and your experiences and we can learn and grow together here at Guru!
Compensation and benefits:
Note: Disclosure as required by relevant state law of the base salary compensation range for this role when being hired in Colorado, New York and Washington. The base salary compensation range for the position outlined is $172,000- $233,000. You may also be offered incentive stock options and benefits. Benefits include Health, Dental, Vision, 401k, PTO, Paid sick leave, Paid parental leave, Paid family leave, Paid holidays, Mental health and wellbeing offerings, HSA/FSA available (where applicable), Office set-up reimbursement, Life and accidental death and dismemberment coverage, Short & long term disability coverage, and a Company-issued laptop and accessories.
The final job level and compensation will be determined by various factors such as a candidate’s relevant work experience, years of relevant experience, skills, qualifications, certifications, geographic location, and other business considerations.
- Competitive salary
- Employee Incentive Stock Option Plan
- Paid Parental, Family & Medical Leave
- Unlimited Vacation
- Professional Development Stipend
- Wellness Stipend
- Home Office Stipend
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Thrive After Five: in recognition of our long-tenured employees, Guru celebrates your five year anniversary with a $10,000 personal travel reimbursement
- Remote perks
- Generous medical benefits package
- Guru-sponsored company & team events, no matter where you work