Senior Risk Data Scientist
Creating innovative financial operations solutions that help small and mid-size businesses save time, become more efficient and grow.
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and Sydney, AUS and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
This position is based at our Draper, UT office. We support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
Come join Risk Analytics at Divvy! As a data scientist, you will own key projects and grow the data science and analytics functionalities/ capabilities within Risk. You will partner closely with the Risk teams to improve how Divvy makes decisions around dynamic credit limits, payment accelerations and driving spend growth across the customer lifecycle. You will partner closely with Product, Sales, Operations and Data Engineering on data infrastructure, systems design, and how to deploy data science logic in production.
What You’ll Do
- Become the expert in our customer’s bank data, build deep insights and enable/influence decisions across the risk spectrum.
- Use that expertise to lead our efforts to expand a key area of underwriting new accounts and credit lines, including review of additional needs for software integrations and expansion
- Take ownership of several of our central decision science dashboards, enriching and expanding them to ensure optimal insights delivered to our risk and growth teams
- Build, own and develop statistical/ machine learning models by leveraging internal as well as alternative data sources. Identify customer needs and balance customer risk.
- Build out probability of default models for various risk segments/cohorts within the portfolio, estimate loss given default (LGD) and help improve portfolio risk management
- Perform detailed case reviews, identify learnings and be an integral part of improving and optimizing risk monitoring and alerting
- Closely partner with the Underwriting team to identify early customer tenure risk and create a strong handshake in moving customers effectively from onboarding to high spend growth
- Monitor losses, maintain an effective control environment and respond to gaps with speed, urgency, and discipline.
- Periodically review High Risk segments and suggest action items on accounts based on data and due diligence
- Full stack data science development: from upstream data modeling and cleaning, to research and prototyping, to deploying and monitoring models in production
- Design systems and SLAs that allow risk analytics to capture, move, store, and transform raw data into highly actionable insights with product and data engineering teams
- Contribute to Divvy’s data team by influencing processes, tools, and systems that will allow us to make better decisions in a scalable way
We’d love to chat if you have:
- Uncanny ability and willingness to take on any kind of analytics at any level to generate key insights that lead directly to improved decisions
- Minimum 4 years of data science experience building models and dashboards (Tableau/ Power BI or similar).
- Risk management experience in the finance industry and understanding of the credit lifecycle is highly preferred
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate large amounts of data with attention to detail and accuracy
- Proficiency in SQL, Python and/or R, and Excel
- Experience to write complex queries and work with large datasets to solve complex business problems
- Ability to clearly communicate complex results to technical experts, business partners, and executives
- Good perspective on data science development cycle (problem definition, EDA + feature engineering, modeling + evaluation, deploy + monitor + iterate in production)
- Familiarity with the mathematical fundamentals of advanced statistics and optimization
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, constantly improving, start-up environment that focuses on solving problems with iterative technical solutions
- Advanced degree in Data Science, Math, Economics, Bioinformatics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, or other quantitative fields
- A sense of passion, urgency and personal ownership over controlling losses and driving growth
Nice to Haves
- Experience with consumer or business credit and fraud modeling
- Experience with the modern data stack (Fivetran / Snowflake / dbt or similar)
- Familiarity with MLOps/infra required to support data science solutions
- Familiarity and experience with methods for experimental design and causal inference
- Experience at a high-growth startup
Let’s talk about benefits
- 100% paid health, dental, and vision plans (choose HMO, PPO, or HDHP)
- HSA & FSA accounts
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 11+ Observed holidays and wellness days and flexible time off
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with employee discounts
- Wellness & Fitness initiatives
- Employee recognition and referral programs
- And much more
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants