Sr. Director, Risk Data Science and Innovation
Do the best work of your career as a champion for small and mid-size businesses.
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
We are in search of an exceptional and passionate leader and innovator in the field of data science to join the Risk Management team at BILL. Reporting directly to the SVP of Risk Management, we are looking for a Senior Director of Risk Data Science and Innovation who possesses strong strategic acumen and a proven track record of delivering results. In this role, you will be entrusted with leading our risk data science team and collaborating with a team of top-tier data scientists to bring cutting-edge ML/AI risk solutions to fruition. The scope of the role encompasses predictive risk modeling initiatives covering areas such as fraud and credit risk.
- Effectively engage and collaborate with cross-functional teams, including strategy, revenue, product, and engineering, to uncover and leverage business opportunities through data science.
- Demonstrate the ability to lead, manage, and inspire a team of seasoned data scientists, driving them towards achieving project objectives and fostering innovation.
- Possess strong communication skills, enabling you to communicate intricate findings to technical experts and non-technical stakeholders, including executives.
- Showcase a commitment to nurturing the growth and development of team members, while actively promoting a culture of continual learning throughout the organization.
- Comfortably navigate in ambiguous situations, steering data science projects towards well-defined business objectives, testable hypotheses, and action-oriented outcomes.
We’d love to chat if you have:
- Minimum 10 years of industry experience in risk data science, preferably in both credit and fraud risk
- Experience in leading, managing and building high performing data science teams
- Experience using statistics and data science to solve complex business problems
- Deep knowledge of ML framework with hands on experience using SQL/Python/AWS to build and deploy models
- Familiar with ML and statistical modeling techniques (e.g., gradient boosting, NLP, regression, clustering, decision trees, etc.)
- An advanced degree (M.S., PhD.), preferably in Statistics, Physical Sciences, Computer Science, Economics, or a related technical field
- Experience with alternative data in credit and fraud risk assessments
The estimated salary range for this role is noted below for our San Jose based role. Our ranges for each role and job level are based on a variety of factors including candidate experience, expertise, and geographic location and may vary from the amounts listed above. The role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, flexible spending & health savings account, paid holidays, paid time off, and other company benefits.
Let’s talk about benefits
- 100% paid employee health, dental, and vision plans (choose HMO, PPO, or HDHP)
- HSA & FSA accounts
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 11+ Observed holidays and wellness days and flexible time off
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with employee discounts
- Wellness & Fitness initiatives
- Employee recognition and referral programs
- And much more
For positions that are in office we support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days. Check out our LinkedIn Life Page for each location and Discover BILL.
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
Our promise to our candidates is to be transparent, diligent, and engaging while guiding individuals through each step of our hiring process. At BILL we strive to achieve an inclusive and positive candidate experience that aligns with our core values and focuses on diversity. If you require a reasonable accommodation for your application, interviews, or another aspect of the hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants