Staff Database Administrator
Do the best work of your career as a champion for small and mid-size businesses.
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
The Platform Infrastructure and Database Engineering Team is responsible for managing all of the infrastructure and databases at BILL. We utilize DataDog (for Logging, Metrics, and APM), Splunk, and CloudWatch (through Datadog integration) for real-time alerts via Slack and PagerDuty. We are strong advocates of Infrastructure as Code, and to achieve this, we utilize Terraform and AWS ECS.
We are looking for a Staff Database Administrator (DBA) with development experience in PostgreSQL and DynamoDB to join us in supporting and enhancing our mission-critical database systems to achieve higher levels of performance, availability, backup/recovery, and security. As a member of the team, you will collaborate closely with our Systems Engineers, Developers, and Architects to design, implement and scale our database engines that power the BILL suite of applications. If you thrive on tackling significant challenges involving large datasets, online processing, and complex systems to drive business results, then this is the ideal job for you!
As a Staff Database Administrator (DBA), you'll be the subject matter expert responsible for managing, optimizing, and ensuring the robustness of our PostgreSQL and cloud-native databases like DynamoDB.
We’d love to chat if you have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field, or equivalent practical experience
- 8+ years of hands-on experience in PostgreSQL database administration, including expertise in database optimization, security, and access control
- 3+ years of experience in provisioning and maintaining PostgreSQL databases in Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Expertise in maintaining Infrastructure as Code (IaC) using Terraform and Gitlab
- Experience in setting up data streaming frameworks from/into PostgreSQL databases such as Apache Kafka, Flink is preferred
- Experience implementing data protection methods used to secure PII/PCI data
- Solid SQL skills and experience in complex query optimization
- Experience with monitoring and alerting tools like DataDog, Splunk, and CloudWatch for real-time performance monitoring and issue resolution
- Experience working with No-SQL database such as DynamoDB, MongoDB desire
- Major plus AWS certified in Database - Specialty
The estimated salary range for this role is noted below for our San Jose based role. Our ranges for each role and job level are based on a variety of factors including candidate experience, expertise, and geographic location and may vary from the amounts listed above. The role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, flexible spending & health savings account, paid holidays, paid time off, and other company benefits.
Let’s talk about benefits
- 100% paid employee health, dental, and vision plans (choose HMO, PPO, or HDHP)
- HSA & FSA accounts
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 11+ Observed holidays and wellness days and flexible time off
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with employee discounts
- Wellness & Fitness initiatives
- Employee recognition and referral programs
- And much more
For positions that are in office we support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days. Check out our LinkedIn Life Page for each location and Discover BILL.
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants