Sr. Payroll Specialist
Do the best work of your career, helping businesses change the way they manage finances.
BILL is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a champion of SMBs, we are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can thrive. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust BILL solutions to manage financial workflows, including payables, receivables, and spend and expense management. With BILL, businesses are connected to a network of millions of members, so they can pay or get paid faster. Through our automated solutions, we help SMBs simplify and control their finances, so they can confidently manage their businesses, and succeed on their terms.
BILL is a trusted partner of leading U.S. financial institutions, accounting firms, and accounting software providers. We have operations in San Jose, CA, Draper, UT, Houston, TX and Sydney, AUS and are continuing to expand into other geographic locations. If you’re looking for a place that helps you do the best work of your career, look no further than BILL. We support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days.
This position is based at San Jose, CA. We support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days.
Make your impact within a rapidly growing Fintech Company
As a Senior Payroll Specialist you will play a crucial role in ensuring the integrity and accuracy of multi-state payrolls for Bill employees. You'll drive compliance, process equity transactions, and provide timely support to various stakeholders, contributing to the seamless functioning of our payroll operations.
What you’ll be doing
- Prepare and process end-to-end multi-state payrolls for 2000+ employees
- Process and submit employee equity transactions and related tax withholding through ADP
- Ensure the integrity and accuracy of all payroll remittances and reporting
- Proven experience with year-end close and W-2 processing
- Ensures compliance of payroll SOX controls and maintains current knowledge of applicable federal and state regulations
- Provide timely response to inquiries from HR, accounting, managers, employees, government, and other third-party agencies utilizing knowledge and interpretation of policies, procedures, and legislation.
- Conduct audits of data changes and requests to ensure compliance with company policy and practices
- Manage time and attendance workflow to ensure all time sheets, time off requests, and other payroll data is received timely and are accurate, complete and in compliance with state and federal payroll standards.
- Handle day-today payroll activities and resolve payroll related discrepancies
We'd Love to Chat If You Have
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related discipline required
- 8+ years of experience processing end-to-end payroll and equity transactions
- Strong knowledge of ADP Workforce Now payroll software platform, as well as federal and state regulations
- Have the ability to think outside the box, work independently with general supervision, aswell as part of a team and willing to contribute beyond the defined role to meet business needs as circumstances require
- Ability to prioritize effectively, meet deadlines, work with others and follow through to execute all tasks
- Commitment to customer service with a strong sense of ownership for projects and results
- Candidate should be detail-oriented, self-motivated, and be able to work within tight deadlines
- Ability to deal sensitively with confidential material
- Experience with high volume payroll processing
- Payroll experience with a public company
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Workday Payroll experience is a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365, G-Suite
Let’s talk about benefits
- 100% paid health, dental, and vision plans (choose HMO, PPO, or HDHP)
- HSA & FSA accounts
- Life Insurance, Long & Short-term disability coverage
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 11+ Observed holidays and wellness days and flexible time off
- Employee Stock Purchase Program with employee discounts
- Wellness & Fitness initiatives
- Employee recognition and referral programs
- And much more
This role is based in California.
The estimated base salary range for this role is noted below for our office location in San Jose, CA. Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in BILL’s bonus and equity plan. Our ranges for each role and job level are based on a variety of factors including candidate experience, expertise, and geographic location and may vary from the amounts listed above. The role is also eligible for a competitive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, flexible spending & health savings account, paid holidays, paid time off, and other company benefits.
For positions that are in office we support a hybrid work environment with on-site and remote work days. Check out our LinkedIn Life Page for each location and Discover BILL.
We live our culture and values every day
At BILL, we’re different by design—it's our culture. Our CEO is a trusted entrepreneur who lives our cultural values: Humble, Authentic, Passionate, Accountable, and Fun. People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We celebrate our diversity as the heart and soul of how we work, grow, and succeed together. Inspiring people with meaningful career experiences they love really does make the dream work and our successes just keep getting better. There’s no limit to what we can build and where we can go from here. We’d love you to join us.
BILL is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Our innovation and technology are inspired by an inclusive culture unlike any other. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
- Humble - We check our egos at the door. We are curious. We listen, accept feedback.
- Authentic - We earn and show trust by being real—embracing our authentic selves.
- Passionate - We care deeply about each other and our customers.
- Accountable - We are duty-bound to each other, our customers, and society.
- Fun - We wrap it all together by building connections and enjoying time spent together.
Our Applicant Privacy Notice describes how BILL treats the personal information it receives from applicants