Engineering Manager - Contact Data
Assembled is building software to transform and elevate customer support teams, which often represent 20-50% of the people at a company. Our workforce management platform helps some of the fastest-growing, most innovative companies in the world—including Stripe, Etsy, and Robinhood—to schedule, forecast, and organize their support teams. We’ve raised $70m in funding from the likes of NEA, Emergence Capital, and Stripe itself. You’ll be joining a special group of people who learned the ropes at companies like Stripe, Google, Atlassian, Twitter, Airbnb, Looker, NEA, Bain, and more.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced and visionary engineering leader to strategically guide our Contact Data team. The Contact Data team is a fullstack product team that is responsible for the core data integrations, APIs, and reporting capabilities within the Assembled Workforce Management (WFM) product. Additionally, this team ensures that customers can easily understand and validate data in our product, and defines metrics that are consistent and useful for our customers. All of these areas are foundational to the user experience of the Assembled WFM product.
You'll have wide autonomy to make product decisions and be the technical decision maker for your team. You'll end up working with product managers and design extensively to scope a project, engineers to build the product, and the business team to help launch and sell what your team has built. You’ll be working closely with our customers to ensure the team is building the right things and delivering value to our customers.
In this role, you will:
- Lead and mentor teams of passionate software engineers that pride themselves on ownership and impact. There will be opportunities to cultivate manager reports.
- Recruit, manage, and coach the team to ensure that each person is motivated, excited about work, and performing their best.
- Set and communicate a clear vision for the future of these teams. It is important to be customer focused and wear a product manager hat when needed.
- Lead the team on technical decisions. You'll be accountable for technical decisions on the team. You'll lead the team in the right direction technically and ensure that the team is thinking through tradeoffs between the long and short term.
- Ensure on-time, high quality product delivery to ensure we are getting value to our customers quickly and effectively.
- Keep the engineering quality bar high. Drive adoption of engineering best practices. Be hands-on in technical architecture reviews and ensure our infrastructure scales to appropriate levels as we continue to grow. Make contributions to code if needed.
- Communicate cross-functionally with customers and business to ensure that everyone at Assembled understands the importance of what the team is building and that communication lines are open. You should help the team empathize with customer needs.
- Drive initiatives that improve our operational excellence, technical architecture, cross-team/organization communication, and recruiting.
- Work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment. The needs of our customers are changing quickly as companies grow (or shrink) and navigate new ways of working. The ability to thrive in ambiguity and change is critical.
- 2+ years of experience as an engineering manager, 5+ years of professional work experience in software development.
- Located in greater New York City area or be willing to relocate to New York City. We have a strong in-office culture and would like the engineering manager to be geolocated with the members of the team.
- Strong track record of coaching engineers to achieve their peak potential.
- Outstanding customer-centric mindset, growth mindset, and a hunger for problem solving and impact. Able to take ambiguous problems and turn them into technical stories.
- Strong history making sound product decisions. You should have demonstrated that you're able to ship lasting, high quality, high value products.
- Can dive into our infrastructure, intuit how it works, and be able to have a strong intuition for suggestions that will lead us to a stronger engineering position.
- You should be comfortable writing code and be able to dive in and fix issues.
- Experience closing competitive candidates for their team and the ability to craft and convey compelling visions of the future.
- High emotional intelligence and empathetic personality. A strong ability to read between the lines and genuinely connect with a diverse range of fellow colleagues.
- A voracious and intrinsic desire to learn and fill in missing skills. An equally strong talent for sharing that information clearly and concisely with others.
- Are comfortable with ambiguity and rapidly changing conditions. You view changes as an opportunity to add structure and order when necessary.
Our U.S. benefits
- Generous medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Paid company holidays, sick time, and unlimited time off
- Monthly credits to spend on each: professional development, general wellness, Assembled customers, commuting and community-support agriculture (CSA)
- Paid parental leave
- Hybrid work model with catered lunches everyday (M-F), snacks, and beverages in our SF & NY offices
- 401(k) plan enrollment